Monday, August 12, 2013

Prayer


It is one thing to know truths intellectually, but emotionally learning those truths is another thing. The best example of this is change. We all know change is necessary to progress and grow, but when it comes around the corner it still emotionally gets to you. This is how I am feeling with Sister Barker leaving me next Sunday night or Monday morning. She has served faithfully 18 months and has been an amazing example and trainer to me of what a missionary and human being should be like. It seems like I love her more and more each day. And a lot of the emotions associated with change hit me last night. Feelings of inadequacy and uncertainty crept up. I'm learning on the mission and in life that these feelings may come, but it is how we respond to it that determines our ability to overcome and rise up to our potential. And our response always needs to be the same-turning to our Heavenly Father in prayer. I came across this amazing talk in the ensign and it let us know how essential prayer is.  

"Without prayer, there is no possible return to the Father. Without prayer, sufficient faith to understand and keep the commandments is impossible. Without prayer, the necessary spiritual power to avoid temptation and overcome trials and adversity would be unavailable. Without prayer, repentance, forgiveness, and the cleansing power of the atonement are unattainable. With the power of prayer, all things are possible"
Elder Kevin W. Pearson

I'm trying to be brave with this upcoming change, but I know to be brave I need Heavenly Father's help. I know we can do all things with Heavenly Father. I know that intellectually and from past experiences, but prayer is what gives us strength emotionally to accomplish everything we need to do. 

Why be afraid? That is what I keep telling myself. The Lord is on our side and we have had an amazing week. Our lovely Sonia is getting baptized on August 31st and Natalie is on track for September 14th! We are teaching so many people I love dearly and could keep writing and writing about each one. I know when we focus on others, our fears disappear because we are losing ourself in the work. Perfect love casteth out all fear. I know that through prayer and focusing on helping others we can blossom with the changes in our life that may overwhelm us. I'm learning that right now so I can testify of this truth. 

I love you all!

Cheers!
Sister McLeod

And this is the lovely testimony of Sister Barker

"The Lord is the head of this work, it is His work, and we are only called to serve Him.  Each and every day is an act of faith but it brings the greatest blessings, for when we are in the service of our fellow beings we truly are only in the service of our God (Mosiah 2:17).  I have come to know for myself more assuredly that God lives, Jesus Christ is our Savior, The Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ, and Joseph Smith was called of God and given the authority to restore the Church of Jesus Christ as it was in former times.  If you contemplate as to whether to go or not go on a mission let me reassure you that you will never regret making that decision and that God can and will guide you to know if you are "called to the work."  I have loved and still love being a missionary and will be for the rest of my life, so no worries about being released, I'll then receive my new calling of being a member missionary and I am so glad to know that God will sustain me in that calling too :)  I know these things are true and say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment